To support partnerships between public health authorities, homeless service systems, and other partners at the local level, and the vulnerable households served, HUD and its partners are issuing guidance from subject matter experts on best practices and lessons learned.
This resource digest for homeless providers contains recently published resources from HUD’s Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs (SNAPS) and its national, state, and local partners.
Upcoming Federal and Federal Partner Trainings
- HUD and HHS Housing and Services Partnership Accelerator Webinar – November 13 – 2:00 PM EST: HUD and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced the launch of the Housing and Services Partnership Accelerator (HSPA), which will support states in developing or expanding innovative housing-related supports and services for Medicaid-eligible people with disabilities and older adults who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness. HSPA is a 12-month technical assistance (TA) program that will support selected states with one-on-one state coaching support from housing and services subject matter experts and the opportunity to learn from peer states through facilitated sharing of information, resources, best practices, and lessons learned. HSPA will select up to four states to participate in the TA program. This webinar will cover the application process, eligibility, requirements, and program elements. This webinar will feature speakers from ACL, CMS, and HUD.
- Ask the Expert: Homeless Outreach Teams – November 15, 2023 – 2:00 PM EST: Homeless Outreach Teams (HOTs) are one approach to connecting people to tailored housing and wraparound services in the community, rather than using emergency departments to provide crisis intervention with limited capacity for follow-up. For this Ask the Expert session, it will be joined by officer Nate Schwiethale and Regina Stout, LMSW, from Wichita, Kansas, to talk about the HOT model in Wichita and how it has become a resource for law enforcement responding to people experiencing homelessness.
- PD&R Quarterly Update – Cash Assistance and Housing – November 16, 2023 – 2:00 PM EST: In this Quarterly Update, HUD’s Office of Policy Development & Research (PD&R) will bring together practitioners, government officials, researchers, and funders to better understand these guaranteed income programs and their impact on housing opportunities. Leaders of programs in Philadelphia (PHL Housing+) and Denver (Denver Basic Income Project) will share their experiences, including aspects of program design, partnership strategies, and research findings. This is a hybrid event being offered in-person at HUD Headquarters in Washington, DC as well as online in webcast format.
Housing and Services Resource Center Webinar – Expanding Home Accessibility Services: Strategies for Sustaining Cross-Sector Collaborations – November 16, 2023 – 2:00 PM EST: The Housing and Services Resource Center (HSRC) is hosting this webinar to explore how cross-sector partnerships can help to sustain services and programs that support accessible and stable housing for older adults and people with disabilities
New Federal Resource
Upcoming Office Hours
Please note: There will be no Office Hours held this Friday, November 10, 2023. The next Office Hours will take place on Friday, November 17, 2023, at 2:30 PM EST.
If you have any questions regarding the Office Hours, please contact HUD Office Hours at HUDOfficeHours@abtassoc.com. HUD is also available to provide technical assistance to our homeless assistance providers who need support in preventing or responding to the spread of infectious disease. Submit your questions to the HUD Exchange Ask A Question (AAQ) portal. In Step 2 of the question submission process, select “Homelessness and Infectious Disease Questions” from the “My question is related to” drop down list.
Additional Resources Visit the Disease Risks and Homelessness page to access technical assistance materials from HUD as well as guidance issued from HUD’s federal partners dedicated to preparing for and responding to infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
SNAPS Mailing List Subscription
Stay up to date on HUD’s SNAPS news and updates for grantees and interested stakeholders:
- Sign up for SNAPS Competition Information through HUD.gov
- Sign up for SNAPS Program Information through HUD.gov
- Sign up for SNAPS Technical Assistance Information through the HUD Exchange